Broccoli Cheddar Muffins [Centre for Healthy Active Kids Recipes]
A fast protein packed breakfast (or snack!) that tastes great, and will make the morning rush so much easier.
Serve these with a toasted whole wheat English muffin. Store in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or the freezer for 3 to 4 months. If frozen or refrigerated, reheat in microwave for about 1 minute.
Makes 6 egg muffins
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Oil spray or softened butter or margarine
5-6 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme (optional)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)*
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
* If using fresh broccoli, soak in boiling water for 5 minutes until it turns vibrant green. Strain before using. If using frozen broccoli, thaw and squeeze broccoli in a paper towel to remove extra water.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spray 6 muffin cups with non-stick spray or grease with margarine or butter.
3. Whisk together the eggs, salt, black pepper, thyme, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl.
4. Add chopped broccoli and mix to combine.
5. Divide into muffin tins filling each about 2/3 full.
6. Sprinkle with cheese.
7. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes until puffed and cooked through.
8. Let cool slightly before carefully removing from muffin tin.